Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Dinosaur Onesies (part 2)

Here we are again, part 2. And I'm sorry (not) for the false advertising in the previous post. I realized last Thursday that I had another baby shower to attend and another white onesie. So I set out to create a photo tutorial for you. And good thing I did, because though I felt it was simpler, it seems to be more steps than the last one.


It turned out adorable, of course (who doesn't want their little baby to look like a mini dinosaur?? I would!) and I loved the way the spikes stood up more uniformly.

On to the tutorial, and good luck! I'll tell you now, the hardest part is the beginning and end of the final seam.

Materials and Supplies:

  • Sewing machine with desired thread color (I used white because I'm lazy and that was what was in the machine)
  • Sewing machine needle for knits (optional, but maybe cause less rips in the knit)
  • Fabric scissors and paper scissors (unless you like using your fabric scissors for paper, your choice, no judging... I think I actually used 4 different pairs of scissors for this project)
  • Small piece of cardboard
  • Tissue paper, pencil/pen, pins
  • Onesie (I a onesie for 3-6 months)
  • Thin fleece in desired color (I bought mine at walmart (barf), thin = less bulge on baby's back) (I bought a 1/4 yard, but you could probably get away with, like, 3 inches)
  • Straight edge (a yard stick worked well for me)
  1. Cut out a cardboard template for how big you want the spikes to be (include about 1/4" on all sides for the seams). Trace it onto tissue paper. Download my template pattern, or make your own. Mine measures 2.5" along the bottom and 2" on the sides)
  2. Cut out any number of pattern pieces from the tissue (I did 8)
  3. Pin pattern pieces to fleece.
  4. Cut out 18-20 (2 for each spike, 9 spikes fit on a 3-6 month onesie) pieces and stack in groups of 2, with right(the side you want to see in the end) sides together. I like to stack mine, alternating where the point is for easy transportation from workspace to sewing station.
  5. Move on over to your sewing machine and stitch along the 2 side edges of each triangle pair (not the bottom edge!). A quick tip if you don't know: sew all of them on one side in a chain fashion, snip apart and sew all on the other side... saves some time.
  6. Snip the top tip of each triangle off (it will form a better point once it's right-side out).
  7. Flip the triangles right-side out, using a pencil or scissors to gently push the tip the rest of the way out.
  8. Snip the corners sticking out.
  9. Flip the onesie inside out and find the halfway point in a few places, then draw a line down the middle from top to bottom using your straightedge and a pencil. (beware that the tag or size label may not be directly in the center)
  10. Starting an inch from the edge (don't cut through the seam/binding/whatever-it's-called-on-the-edge-of-the-garment), cut down your line until you are an inch from the other edge. Fold the onesie in half so that the cut is on the edge.
  11. Peel back the top layer of onesie fabric and carefully lay the spikes down, so that the point faces toward the inside of the fold.
  12.  (repeat) Line the unseamed edges of the spike with the cut edges of the onesie, fold the top layer back over and pin in place.
  13. Sew from bottom to top,  approximately 1/4 inch in. Do your best to taper the sewing off at the bottom and top so you close off the cut, but don't seam the edges. The snap is especially difficult to work around. Backstitch at both the beginning and the end.
  14. Make sure your fabric didn't fold over anywhere along the seam and fix as necessary. Optional: you can trim some of the excess fleece off after the seam is finished (a little less bulk on baby's back).
  15. Flip right-side out and admire your handiwork!
This is my cuteness :) check out that underbite
Join me again next week for something totally different! (probably food... and no dinosaurs)

No comments:

Post a Comment